Friday, October 2, 2009

Advice



"Give a man a fish and he will wont be hungry for a day, teach a man how to fish and he won't be hungry for the rest of his life"
This is a quote that I thought of on the way home after meeting with a friend from our church. We went to breakfast and he gave me advice on the future. I was fascinated by his words of wisdom and the way he has lived his life and the love he has for God. And it made me think, as we grow in life there are many things we learn along the way and many things we need to be taught. It got me thinking, I have many mentors in my life and they all meet these guidelines and help me, and that we should have certain guidelines as christians to who we listen to and why.

Proverbs 12:15
The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice.

Guidelines:

1) Find someone who loves God and who has a good head on their shoulders.
2) Find someone who is older than you and has been through some of the stuff you are seeking advice about.
3) Don't go to someone who will just agree with you because their your friend, go to someone who cares for you enough that they will disagree with what your doing or the direction your taking sometimes because they care for you.
4) Find someone who is honest about things and wont sugar coat them.
5) Find someone you trust, and that won't tell people your business.
6) Find someone who you feel comfortable being honest with, someone who you won't keep your brutal facts or actions from.

It is always important for us to have mentors or people that we get advice from, I hope this helps you

In Him,

Brett